Friday, January 4, 2013

travel within a Generation ship

So I came to realize that when I began Miasma Angels it was a fairly naive tale to try and convince a girl to date me or at least consider it.  The beginning of the stories 9th year since I began it.  A few things have stayed the same, one is the idea of a ship that can take humanity to another world.  I back then believed I was breaking new ground, but like most ideas I was one of hundreds of thousands before me.  Sir Arthur C. Clarke coined the best version, I think.  Calling them Generation Ships.

This is all information a person might want to know eventually but in the grander scheme of my book this was a pivotal and saddening part of the back story, so information not even valid to the portions of where I have been writing about.

In an unmentioned year, Earth had become nothing more then a husk, a desert planet drained of all natural resources; man had taken too much, no renewal plans made a difference, they just continued to take and take and take.  The Peregrination series of ships were built taking between 50-75 years to build and prepare. These 7 space fairing behemoths had a daunting task before them to travel in seven different directions following the bread crumbs of the hope at finding the Goldie Locks worlds, a message from the stars told them to travel, or at least that's what they'd tell the children that only knew the space life.

The Peregrination IV, carried 7 generations of post-earthlings before it reached the world it would call home.  7 generations lived and died within the time it took to traverse from Terra-firma to the new world.

1 comment: