Tuesday, January 15, 2013

what's wrong with writing a good fantasy?


Or really, what is wrong with a person who enjoys writing in that field.  The stipulations and prejudices around the word alone, fantasy, lends to a certain light being shone on you.

Miasma Angels in my own words is a Bildungsroman.  Because yes, it's a story about a girl from her birth to adulthood to wherever her life there after.  The problem first arrives when others find out she's of supernatural origin, at least that's how it seems to me.  I love the people who HAVE read Miasma Angels.  In return, I think all of them deserve respect and support for being the way they are.

Jennie is born.  She grows up and she looses things.  That in itself is the genre.  But it's too vague to still garner the fantasy-type.  Spoiler Alert!!  Jennie is an Angel.  Born of two humans bathed in mists that altered them to a quasi-angelic state.  Who was given a very unique chance to play a pivotal role in the changing of the nature of her world.  She is sot after for this unique disposition by a Cult from a world already dead and long forgotten by it's own people.  These people are actually the descendants of those from my last posting, yep, those from the Generation Ships.

I suppose it says something about me that I build a group who are so sad and backwards facing that they try to rewrite the past and the futures of every person that lives now by altering the events of said past and attempting to reconstructing time from times inception.  It also might say that I might have grabbed at too much when I went to this length to write the plot of my antagonists.  You know, to make ones enemy convincing you cannot make things black and white, well you can but that isn't the nature of men.  It's a hodgepodge of things, ideas and emotions.  Situations and consequences, the past and the ideals we strive for, to protect a future that might not even exist.

Alright, to get back to the original topic is to clarify some things, while I use the coming-of-age as a crutch to build Jennie's world.  I do fall back on normal fantasy conventions.  Yes, there are Elves (Alfar), who in my work are about twice the height of the average man, they don't involve themselves in human affairs and generally hate mankind and their numbers are dwindling down to nothingness.  Their are dwarves (Zwerg) who I only wrote 1 in the entire story.  They are even more secluded then any other race, living in the earth.  The other are classified under either the Fir Bholg or Fomorii.  Those could be a blog in and of itself. 

1 comment: